April 30, 2020
By: Manila PIO
The entire first district of the City of Manila will be placed under a 48-hour hard lockdown from 5:00 am on Sunday (May 3) until 5:00 am on Tuesday (May 5).
I'm hoping that this lockdown will have a better effect with regards to the containment of infection or contagion of COVID-19.
Mayor Isko Moreno
Manila City Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso signed Executive Order No. 22 on Thursday, April 30, to shut down the entire Tondo 1 district for disease surveillance and mass testing operations.
Domagoso said the shutdown aims to “contain the spread” and “mitigate any adverse effects” of COVID-19 in the district.
The Mayor’s order states that “disease surveillance, verification or testing and rapid risk assessment” activities will be carried out as response measures to the imminent danger posed by COVID-19.
This is the second 48-hour hard lockdown imposed by the Manila City government. Earlier, the Sampaloc district was placed under hard lockdown due to rising COVID-19 cases.
As of Wednesday, April 29, Tondo 1 has 83 active cases of COVID-19 and 231 suspects for the virus. So far, seven residents have recovered while 12 have died.
Domagoso said the announcement of the lockdown was made in advance in order for the city government to complete its distribution of food packs for Tondo 1 residents.
The Mayor said about 140,166 families in Tondo 1 area will receive food packs on Thursday and Friday.